Dear ECMS Families,
We are in unprecedented times. Alongside the certainty of school closure, we are living in a time of uncertainty; we must find ways to connect with our hearts, to nurture the social and emotional well being of ourselves, our children, and our community. We invite you to take time to care for yourselves, to share moments of love with your families, to breath the fresh spring air, and find some peace. We appreciate all the work all of you are putting into supporting our children, and are working to do our part. We are grateful to be a part of this thriving learning community.
We are in the midst of this school closure to protect the health and safety of our school community, and will collaborate with government and public health agencies to determine when we can safely reopen. We will continue to share all updates with our families. We strongly encourage you to sign up for City Hall/Mayor Justin Elicker’s email updates: mailchi.mp/newhavenct/signup and New Haven Alerts (www.newhavenct.gov/gov/depts/emergency_info/alerts.htm).
- Expect to hear soon from the Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Team about additional ways to connect with community via Facebook and Instagram.
- If you have questions about school policy, reach out to Principal Julia.Webb@elmcitymontessori.org.
- If you have questions about technology, connect with David.Weinreb@elmcitymontessori.org.
- If you have questions about student work, reach out to your child(ren)’s Guide.
- We’re mobilizing a team to provide additional support to ECMS families. If you have questions or immediate needs, email email@example.com
We invite you to stay connected with us and to help your child(ren) stay academically engaged, and have several new initiatives that you’ll read about below (Google Classroom, ECMS Instagram, #ECMSathome). Most importantly, we thank you for your partnership as we keep Elm City Montessori community healthy and thriving.
The ECMS Team
- Please update all contact information on Transparent Classroom.
- Technology/Internet: If you need any support accessing what you need please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. For free internet, we recommend: www.internetessentials.com.
- Share some photos on social media at #ECMSatHome. This is a space for students, families, and staff to share images of what learning looks like in your homes. This can range from traditional academic learning to creative, engaging, interactive…anything!
- Follow our new ECMS instagram page: www.instagram.com/elmcitymontessori
- Classroom teams are sharing work with families electronically, many using classroom.google.com. There will be packets of work from Guides printed at ECMS’ front desk on Wednesday morning, 9AM-12PM. This is similar content to what is being shared electronically.
NHPS Distribution of Meals
- New Haven Public Schools (NHPS) released a plan for distribution of meals. Meal distribution sites will be open for both breakfast and lunch pick up Monday through Friday between 9:00 AM and 12:00 PM. The Food Service Department will be distributing breakfast and lunch meals for the duration of the public schools’ closure due to the growing concern of student exposure to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Here is a link to meal distribution sites (distribution from either the front entry foyer or the bus entry).
- Click on the following link for a food assistance resource guide issued by the City of New Haven, 2-1-1, the Connecticut Food Bank, and CARE Research. (English/español)
For a long list of Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions due to School Closings, visit: www.amazingeducationalresources.com
|www.funbrain.com||Pre-K+||Math, reading.||Practice varied skills and engage in new learning. Consider 30 minutes of daily practice.|
|khanacademy.org||K+||Math videos and practice.||Register, track your child’s math progress! Help your child to set and meet their goals.|
|coolmath4kids.com||Pre-K+||Math games||Practice varied math skills and engage in new learning.|
|code.org||Pre-K+||Computer science||Introduction to coding, accessible to children of all ages.|
|newsela.com||2+||Literacy, reading, news||Read grade-level appropriate news articles, answer comprehension questions. Consider focusing on a theme of high interest for your child.|
|powermylearning.org||K+||All subjects||A hub for educational games focusing on a wide variety of topics.|
|prodigygame.com||1+||Math||Super gameified leveled math practice.|
|everfi.net||K+||Literacy, finance, health, etc.||Modules focusing on deep dives into practical life topics.|
|pbskids.org||Pre-K+||All subjects, games||Deepen cosmic education learning with children-focused research. Help them connect what they’ve been studying in school to what they can research online.|
|kids.nationalgeographic.com||1+||Research||Deepen cosmic education learning with children-focused research. Help them connect what they’ve been studying in school to what they can research online.|
Smarter Balanced Assessment Resources (3rd-5th Grade Students)
Elm City Montessori School opened in August 2014 with 70 children ages 3 through 5. It is New Haven’s first public Montessori school, and Connecticut’s only local charter school. Elm City Montessori School is a racially and economically diverse New Haven public elementary school serving PreK-3 through 8th grade, where students are guided to make decisions and work to their full potential through an educational program that follows Dr. Maria Montessori’s philosophy. A Montessori school stresses child centered learning, hands-on inquiry, multi-age classrooms, and intensive parental engagement.
Please explore our website to learn more about our school.